Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Podcasting

I can see podcasts being useful to give instructions for a sub. You could leave some instructions for a sub that you wouldn’t want left on your desk in hard copy form for others to see. Subs could also see the podcast even before coming to school.

In my class I begin each day with what I call “bell ringers.” These bell ringers could be put on a podcast for those students who are absent.

A podcast could also be in the form of a biographical sketch in a wiki. This way someone could also hear you and get a better feel for who you are.

As a science teacher I can also see applications in the form of lab safety instructions. Because students all work at different rates through a lab it might be helpful to allow students to view, and/or review, the particular safety aspects of a lab when they need to.

I can also see applications for podcasting for the purpose of ISTEP review. We do some of our ISTEP review in homerooms. This means that I am not with the majority of the students when they are reviewing science concepts. A podcast could be used to help with this style of ISTEP review.

4 comments:

  1. You have some great ideas! Putting sub lesson plans on there is a wonderful idea because you can do it from home. I am a science teacher too and I didn't think some of these things. Thanks for being so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using a podcast for ISTEP is a great idea. So much emphasis is put on ISTEP. Putting technology and ISTEP together is a great way to introduce technology and work on standards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like your idea of using it for ISTEP review or in homeroom. The teacher could record themselves or make a podcast and be in all the homerooms at the same time!
    Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of leaving special notes for a sub on a podcast. That is a great idea!

    Also, having your specific information for ISTEP review, since you ARE the science teacher, would be extremely beneficial in their homeroom ISTEP review time. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete