Monday, July 6, 2009

Wikis and Blogs in the Classroom

I am a middle school science teacher and can see many applications to creating my own blog page and I can see how students could learn from creating their own blogs. From my own blog page students could be asked to comment weekly on a question that I submit. Not only could I see what everyone is thinking but they could see each others comments as well. From a blog that the students create they could submit answers to questions that only they and I could see. Blogging could be very useful for students who don’t like to speak up in class but who have very good and insightful thoughts to share.

Wikis are an excellent way to convey to the students the material they will be covering in class. It can also be used to improve their understanding of new material by giving them additional resources such as websites or videos to watch that can supplement what is going on in the classroom. You can have the classroom policies and grading scales available for students to view at any time, it would also be an excellent resource for parents for many of the same reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment